And The Oscar goes to….
The Academy Awards once appointment viewing for a nation of movie lovers, has seen viewer decline while still being event television every February on ABC. According to Variety, the Academy met with ABC officials earlier this year and voted this week on several major changes to the long-running movie award show.
Here are the following major changes:
- The Academy Awards live telecast will be capped at three hours.
- To save time while broadcasting commercials, several Oscar Awards will be presented during commercial breaks.
- There will be a new category that will feature blockbuster films seen by larger audiences.
- The 2020 Oscars will air on February 9th which would set it earlier in the award show season.
Change is coming to the #Oscars. Here's what you need to know:
– A new category is being designed around achievement in popular film.
– We've set an earlier airdate for 2020: mark your calendars for February 9.
– We're planning a more globally accessible, three-hour telecast. pic.twitter.com/oKTwjV1Qv9
— The Academy (@TheAcademy) August 8, 2018
On Twitter the reaction to the news appears to have ruffled many feathers.
Let me say it again: no movie about super heroes should EVER win a Best Picture Oscar. Never. Ever. Ever. No exceptions. #oscars
— John Popa (@JohnThePopa) August 8, 2018
Just a reminder that box office hits Gladiator, Forrest Gump, Silence of the Lambs, Return of the King, Titanic, Rocky, and Braveheart all won #Oscars top honor without a Best Popular Film category
— Jim Vejvoda (@JimVejvoda) August 8, 2018
I think the #Oscars should make a "people we snubbed" category, then give me an award for my turn in "The Wrestler"!
— Todd Barry (@toddbarry) August 8, 2018
The #Oscars used to not mind stooping to nominate popular films for Best Picture. Now they are high brow snobs who added the "Best Popular Film" award as an insult to the movie going public. "Yeah, you're too dumb to recognize REAL art so we'll throw you a bone here." pic.twitter.com/nsZXisrQ7L
— 1970s NFL (@1970sNFL) August 8, 2018