As Chicago’s temperatures sunk down into a record-breaking low, many of Chicago’s homeless were still out fighting to stay warm.
70 people had set up tents in a makeshift camp on Roosevelt Road, near the Dan Ryan Expressway. Where they used donated propane tanks to keep themselves warm.
This took a turn when one of the 100 donated tanks ended up exploding.
The Chicago Fire Department responded to the fire, and thankfully no one was injured. ” When we got there, the fire was extinguished and they found all the propane cylinders. That’s when we escalated it to a Level 1 Hazmat.” said Cheif Walter Schroeder.
Salvation Army spokeswoman Jacquline Rachev was called by the city to made preparations to move the makeshift camp into the Salvation Arm warming center.
But about an hour later the city called them again to stop making the preparations, as someone paid for them to stay at a South Side hotel for the rest of the week.
It’s unclear who was responsible for this act of kindness, as they choose to remain nameless, but it has caused others to share and help those in need.
A Reddit user wanted to help the homeless and shared a post offering to cover a night at a hotel. Saying, “I know it’s not much but at least it’ll let you sleep in a warm bed and take a warm shower.”
It’s unclear which hotel they are staying at but it’s said to be on the South Side.
As it still remains cold make sure to check on those who may need help. <3
The KQX Morning Crew with Brian, Ali, and Justin.